Hutto is a city in Williamson County, Texas, United States. It is part of the Austin–Round Rock metropolitan area. The population was 14,698 at the 2010 census.
Hutto is located at 30°32′40″N 97°32′43″W (30.544517, −97.545198), about seven miles (11 km) east of Round Rock and 22 miles (35 km) northeast of Austin.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.75 square miles (20.1 km2), all of it land.
Historically, Hutto was established in 1876 when the International-Great Northern Railroad passed through land owned by James Emory Hutto (1824-1914), for whom the community is named. Railroad officials designated the stop Hutto Station. James Hutto was born in Alabama on June 8, 1824; he came to Texas in 1847 and moved his family to Williamson County in 1855. A slave, Adam Orgain, was actually the first person to live in the immediate Hutto vicinity, having been placed out on the blackland prairie by his owner to watch after the cattle and livestock holdings. In 1876, James Hutto sold 50 acres (200,000 m2) to the Texas Land Company of New York for a town site and railroad right of way. Hutto had become a wealthy cattleman in Williamson County, but in 1885, he left Hutto and moved to Waco and entered the hardware business. Other early settlers in the area were the Carpenter, Davis, Evans, Farley, Goodwin, Highsmith, Johnson, Magle, Payne, Saul, Weight, Womack, and Wright families. Other people living in Hutto during the 1890s included the Armstrongs, the Ahlbergs, M.B. Kennedy, the Hugh Kimbro family, William McCutcheon, Green Randolph, J.B. Ross and the Tisdales. Soon, a great many more people, primarily Swedish and German immigrants, came to this area to farm and ranch and begin their new lives in America.